Thursday, January 6, 2011

Runaway Noah

Let me explain...

One bright sunny day in September, I had a ton of editing work to do... Noah needed a nap... Emma needed to go to ballet. So, I did what I do in times like this, I called my Mama to see if she could pleeeeaassseee take Emma to ballet for me so I could stay home, catch up on some work and let Noah get his nap in.

She said she would, so over she came, we packed Emma up and just when it was time to leave, Noah wanted to go. Bad. He was crying and begging and thrashing on the floor and clawing at the door, but alas, he didn't get to go.

I got a phone call and so I went on the front porch to get some quiet. Noah followed. He watched Mimi drive down the driveway and he started marching to the side of the house to the garage. He likes playing in the garage. I thought nothing of it.

A minute later, I notice him on his tricycle, pushing it with his feet down our driveway.

I did nothing at first but watch. We live a very good ways from any traffic, so my kids can run and bike and whatnot without me freaking.

Then I noticed he wasn't just playing on his tricycle in the driveway, he was actually on a mission. So, I got up off the steps, ended my phone call, and started towards him.

As soon as he saw me coming for him, he started yelling, "NO, MOMMY, NOOOO!!!! I GOING TO MIMI HOUSE!!!"

I laughed. What else would I do? And followed at a safe distance. I was truly curious as to what he was planning in his little head...



We live on a looonnnnggg dirt road. That big building in the picture below is one of the warehouses on our farm. My family is in the furniture business and that particular building is their warehouse.

The road in the foreground is OUR driveway into our house. Noah was seriously going to Mimi's house.

And he rounded the bend... Seriously, before you call DSS, I was closer than this picture portrays and there was zero activity on the farm that day. We live way out in the country and you can hear vehicles, tractors, etc way before you see them. I knew he was perfectly safe because it was silent outside... with the exception of him yelling at me to stop following him because he was going to Mimi's house!


Noah ended up going all the way around to the other side of the warehouse, at which point, I decided we'd had enough of that shenanigan, I had to at some point put an end to his dream and turn him back towards our house.

This was the picture after the tantrum was thrown... he had thrown himself off the tricycle, into the dirt and thrashed around somemore. I popped his leg, which brought him back to reality and he immediately started heading home.

It's amazing what a little pop does for this little fella. ;)


So, that was the day Noah ran away.

He's a two year old with a mind all his own.

I also want to add that I am so amazed by him. He has a COMPLETE vocabulary now. Just this past week he has started talking even more clearly than he was. I can't believe it. I know Emma's vocabulary wasn't this advanced at this age. I'm wondering if it has something to do with him being the second child and learning so much from her, when she didn't have the older sibling to learn from. I don't know. He just seems so much older than he really is.... and precious... and edible... and kissable... and ...


8 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

it's totally hard to be upset when a cute little man like him is running away! I had to chuckle, really. :)

A Beautiful Life said...

haha! he was SERIOUS!! lol, but truly each kid after the first walked/talked faster and faster. They learn from the older ones or want to keep up with them, i'm not sure which, but it's sooo true! that's cool you live close by a lot of your family!

{Alynn} said...

Love it! What a stinker. You're so lucky to live so close to your family!

Tony said...

This is so funny! :)

B-Blogit said...

Perhaps in heaven my boy and yours were best friends and decided to act totally the same. I can just picture my son doing that. I have to snap him back to reality a few times too usually I snap my fingers in front of his face and say "boy focus" and he will look at me and then I can talk to him.

He totally gets it into his mind what he wants and it is shut down to everything else and total committment to the one thing he wants. Amazing the determination though but sometimes it a difficult situation.

No DSS callin here I think you did the best thing! I probably would have stopped him put him in his room and shut the door which would have made it all worse.

Jessica the Jacked LDS said...

ohmy gosh i'm dying. this is soooo something that isaak would do. but he's a little more sneaky and would wait to jet when i wasn't looking the little punk.

Sara said...

that is just too cute for words! love that lil boy!!!

Katy said...

my heart is all mushy with love right now... this was such a cute cute cute runaway story.... i'm so glad you brought your camera... it's adorable!

He's so sweet... i love his gorgeous hair and adorable smile! I'm SO excited to have a little boy, stories like this make me even more thrilled than ever!